Disclaimer: Christianity's biggest enemies are its followers. This doesn't mean that system isn't effective, it's just that Christians often have problems following its perfect instructions. On the issues that Bible addresses, I believe it is imperative that Christians and non-Christians should adhere. But does the Bible has something specifically to say about every topic?
Dating
The Bible does speak on this in that there are two (2) criteria to be met.- One (1) man and one (1) woman.
- Both need to be Christians.
For both to be Christians is another factor. If the two (2) cannot be on the same page ideologically, it makes for a very stressful union. Also, it even goes further than just being Christian, but prayerfully both could have the same passion (not identical) for their faith. This is required because a new Christian and an experienced one (1) can be at different stages.
But the venues by which you meet people are off the table. If you met the person in church, at the market, online, in a bar (though that atmosphere may not give you the person you really need) or in the park, that's your liberty. So, if people come out against you if you online date, ask them to show you where in the Bible it says that is a sin. Then ask them how they can answer the number of successful marriages via venues like eHarmony, ChristianCafe, etc. If, the person is honest, they will state that God is sovereign and He blesses each marriage. If, the person is honest, they will state that it's not the venue that determines the success of the marriage but the people in the marriage. Long before online dating, Christians were divorcing at the same rate as the rest of the world.
I pray that whatever venue you choose: church, market, online, park, etc. (I intentionally left out the bar. LOL!), that you will use discernment and spend time getting to know the person before committing to anything serious. And if a Christian comes at you with thus says the Lord, flip them the bird! Just kidding! But let them know that they are speaking from their personal preference and no biblical basis.
Well Neo, You might have better luck going to the bar and "turning" the woman toward the lord. LOL
ReplyDeleteThe dating scene is really foreign to me since I have been married for over 20 yrs now to a pure saint.
She must be because she puts up with a heathen like me.
That is sound advice for everybody embarking on the dating scene. Thankfully I've been out of it for many years, but I remember how chaotic it seemed at the time. Where were you when I needed your advice then?!?!
ReplyDeleteonline dating is like eating a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get. :)
ReplyDeletejust curious: where did you meet your stalker, and did you have any warning signs??
ReplyDeleteI see the point you are making, however I came from the school of thought that saints(christians) didn't date. When you met someone that peaked your interests you went to there home with there permission of course to speak to the parents concerning you being able to "talk" to there daughter. When permission was given you spent the next few months going to her house to sit with her to get to know her and her family (dad) got to know you. It was in this process you found out whether this is the individual that would make a good mate for you, and if not then you moved on; but there was no going out "dating" this was what they called courting, and some times it worked the first time and sometimes it didn't.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's about time Christians start acting like Christians and not just lukewarm Christianity either. The Lord guides us in all aspects of our life not just when we need something. The rules that the lord puts in place are for our protection and not just for his amusement.
ReplyDeleteP.S thanks for the comments on my site Neo Soc, it is much appreciated
Bushwack, I am sure she would agree that you're a heathen to your face, but she is probably saying the same thing about herself to your friends, she probably is telling them your tolerating her! lol!
ReplyDeletepcc: I had my fortune-telling license revoke because I got to clients mixed up! LOL! Just kidding. I'm too broke to afford a crystal ball.
fathead or forest gump? she was a mail order bride, but my check bounced. anyway she was a mix up in the shipment. She was the defective model to be returned to the manufacturer but someone put my address on here instead.
i.h.s. - I definitely see your point there and to tell you the truth, when I came here to Indiana 12 years ago from New York; that's exactly what I expected; but I was in for a major reality check. Most families nowadays could care less for the traditional respectful ways. It's too time consuming and confronting. God forbid we actually take something like courting/dating and marriage serious.
mccainpalin, the time for His church to show the world Who we're made of is now, but I fear we will respond in weakness as before and give the enemy a heavier foothold. Yet, praise God He is not caught off guard or dependent upon our contributions to secure a victory He has had long before time began. Also, glad to comment on your site. Thanks for the return.