04 February 2006

Paradox or Paradigm

There is this ever pervasive mentality that the general populace maintains in reference to compassion and love. It's quite saddening to think that these are the past, current and future leaders of our society albeit locally, nationally, and globally. This obscure thinking presupposes that peace, compassion and love cannot coexist with a warrior spirit. Yet, that is the very nature that makes us peaceful (fighting the realities of aggression), compassionate (fighting the realities of misfortune and aiding another), and loving (fighting the realities of our inner selfishness and meeting the needs of others). To some degree we are all warriors; the issue is how do we wish to use that gift? Let me preface that, this blog (started 02FEB06) is a result of an ongoing debate with one of my very beloved Christian best friends. This friend is a friend all of you should have. He has honor, integrity, character beyond measure. Yet, even he fails to miss the mark as we all do; and one area is in reference to my Warrior spirit. He contends that a Christian cannot be armed because it contradicts the message of the Scriptures and I contend that being armed is a necessity and practical discourse of the day and times we live in; "a fallen world"!

Paradox

He consistently crowed that "you can't preach and pack heat". However, the inference is that the person packing has the mentality to inflict harm on someone. He justified defending yourself in your home; but offered no solution for one traveling on the street or going to the store. He contends that one packing heat, has lost trust in God. He cited the famous missionary, Jim Elliot, who chose not to shoot the very savages who chose to kill him. Yet, this is not the standard for operation because every situation brings its own level of discretion. As a believer, who has endured a lot and still have much growing to do; I took great offense to his statement. Yet, he is entitled to his opinion. My buddy stated that mace and cars can't kill. That's wrong! You can mace someone with respiratory problems and the right dosage could possibly trigger a fatally adverse response. Cars can back into and run over people, some survive and some do not. My buddy akins the Leftist's peaceful approach to the war on terror to a worldview sculptured by Gandhi/MLK's peaceful approach to resolving conflict. Yet, he does the same thing with criminals on the street. If it is an issue of trust, then we all need to stop locking our cars, and homes because we would be telling God that we do not trust Him enough. Yet, why do we do it? Why do we lock our doors?

Paradigm

We lock our doors because we understand the reality of the fact that man is fallen and depraved. There are people out there who would seek to do us harm given the opportunity. Don't be fooled! Identity fraud can be the result of violent crimes or it can precede it. We have become so engulfed with electronic crime that we have forgetten how low people will go to accomplish something regardless of those affected. Pay attention to the news people; you'll always find a crime there. If you don't have a television; listen to the radio. No radio; check the internet. No internet, talk to a friend. No friend, no problem then; stay in your bubble while the rest of society deals with the degenerates. I am so glad the Bible does not tell us with what Cain killed Abel, because ten to one; radicals would ban the use of it.

Personally, Christians carrying firearms falls under the category of 'Christian Liberty'. Meaning, it is not a main teaching that affects your overall perspective and understanding of who God is. So, is there a paradox? No! I repeat, No! If, guns can be seen as a lack of trust in God, then we need to discard tasers, mace, knives, cell phones, cars and any other device we could use to deter the criminal's intent to do us bodily harm. What were the previously mentioned items? Tools! So, if we ban one, we ban all. Regardless of the stagmatisms that come associated with each; the purpose is to defend oneself against an attacker. So, if I carry mace, does it mean that I have more trust in God than I do were I to carry a firearm? Again, this is post-modern pragmatic thinking. Also, there are the recreational uses with firearms that then come under fire. I have another friend who has expressed concern in the fact that firearms are some of mankind's worst inventions. I actually think that it's a lot more humane than say 'germ warfare'. However, every tool, everything that we possess has good benefits for it; however depraved minds dirty the better purposes for them. Look at marriage, the environment, the internet, etc. All beautiful aspects and avenues in humanity yet can also be tools for homosexuals (I have no problem with the individual), toxic dump sites, online pornography, etc. To presuppose a problem with all guns, is to basically put the focus on everywhere but the necessary target: the human heart. Depraved and deceitful it is (Jeremiah 17:9). Even the one pronouncing judgment. I am sure, that we can find issues in the gun-phobes life that doesn't 'square' with the Biblical precepts they pronounce on those who carry. However, the moment we decide to then say, that their preferences are not as severe as the others; we have then sentenced oneself to 'situational ethics'; which plays no part in the scheme of God's plans because He is impartial.

Further:
There are three kinds of people
There are three kinds of people:

predators: (i.e., those who cannibalize their own species) alpha
prey (i.e., those who allow themselves to be eaten) beta
those who refuse to be either (i.e., an armed libertarian) gamma

If you're not predatorial (the first prerequiste for gamma), yet you don't have the will or training to defend yourself, then you are by default prey. As the harshly accurate saying goes:
There are no victims, only volunteers.
So, that you do not become prey, you must embrace a little bit of the Warrior spirit.
Mothers defending their offspring can exhibit terrifying ferociousness, but they must be trained to become ferocious when protecting themselves. Men do not seemed to have this deeply ingrained programming, or if they do, they allow it to be weeded out through socialization. To be a complete man, he must retain a healthy portion of his innate savagery.
(Boston Gun Bible, 4/2-4/3)
The Warrior Spirit
Of every One-hundred men, Ten shouldn't be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle
Ah, but the One, One of them is the Warrior
and He will bring the others back.

- Hericletus (circa 500 B.C.)
(Boston Gun Bible, 4/3)

I bring this up because, I believe many people (Christians included) fail to understand the mindset of many carriers of firearms. I cited these passages because of the fact that the world needs Warriors! To route out evil and establish order; there needs to be those who will hold the offenders responsible when there is no one to help out. My friend even believes that it is solely the job of the police to protect him and his family. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the hard work and sacrifice they make; but I would equally disrespect them if I didn't play my part in the whole scheme of things. The role law enforcement plays is for the community rather than the individual; ergo 2nd Amendment. Even in Police Academy, it stated Community and not Individual who is protected. When there are no threats to be concerned with; we will no longer need to defend ourselves, family and country.

People want guns completely eradicated, which is literally impossible! Yet, were it possible? Then do we move to knives? Was not that the choice for Jack the Ripper? Long before guns existed; was there no crime? Thank God, Ghengis Khan did not have an AK47 or it would have been worse than the swords and spears he used.

My buddy's argument has turned as of (04FEB06) to it's okay for Christians to possess firearms, yet not while witnessing. Again, where do we draw the line? I do not deny God's ability to provide and protect me; but why be defenseless outside the home rather than in the home. What do you do if you're about to witness to someone at your home? Do you pause to go hide all your weapons? What if this is another depraved mind that you have allowed in your home, who has only one thing in mind? God's Sovereignty always wins the day; but we are also expected to be wise and prudent. Killers show up in all forms today. They can look as crazy as Charles Manson or as innocent as David Ludwig. The question is; how prepared will you be when the moment comes?

12 comments:

  1. As I wrote to you while Blogger has had its (cough) difficulties, I do remember a passage about Jesus and his followers going into the wilderness and his admonition along the lines: "If you have a robe and no sword, sell the robe to have the sword." There are animals of many kinds in many different wildernesses, be they jungle or urban. Not all walk on four legs and keep to the ancient ways of blood red tooth and claw.

    As for your friend, I describe him as one that is blinded by looking only to the light. When looking to you he sees Gray, one who faces darkness with his back warmed by the light. In seeing you he sees darkness as he is not used to things not wholly light. His disparagement is that of not wanting to know and admit that there is darkness and wanting to quickly look back at the light as it hurts to look at darkenss after being blinded by the light.

    Their words hurt worse because of their deep belief that light shall overcome all. We wish it true, those who look into the night after the knowing of the light. Those that use the light to see into darkness because we know the light is precious and frail and powerful all at once. But we must use the light to protect, by seeing the things seeking the warmth of those who think that darkness can only be overcome with light.

    We are Gray. We stand between the candle and the star. We stand between the light and the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Neo...Neo...I love the way you said this. Through much pain in my life, I've come to believe it is our duty to defend ourselves from the evil of the world. I've come to believe as you do. I see reality. Thank you for saying it so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much wisdom in this, and people do do need to understand that being non-violent does not mean being stupid. Turning the other cheek does not mean letting your fellow man be plundered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post Neo ... as long as there is sheep, there will always be wolves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:16 PM

    A jacksonian: Thanks again for the points. I like the way you put that in that my friend can't handle the Gray. It's really funny because if I let you all see the email correspondences that we had; you definitely find it hard to believe that this guy is rational in many other areas.

    lone pony: thank you. I agree; the problem my friend failed to see is that me carrying benefits more than just me; because I am put in a position to deal with a threat when the police are not there to take care of it; as well as any other citizen.

    shoprat: Well said. The turning the other cheek mentality has been over burdened with ignorant mentalities like my friend. After I shared that Jim Elliot wasn't the standard; he went on to say that Jesus was; and because Jesus didn't carry; so shouldn't we! Pretty sad!

    abreedom: couldn't have said it any better; and my friends act like there are no wolves to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neo, you might want to enlighten your friend with a little critical reading for Christians.

    http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcInfoBase.asp?CatID=81

    Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neo:

    You have made an amazing series of concepts congruent; and they ARE in fact congruent:

    Peace, compassion and love CAN exist within the same individual, group or, even GOVERNMENT, as expressed in the Warrior spirit.

    It befuddles me that more persons cannot see this.

    To me it gets down to the essentials of:

    - Peace through superior firepower;
    - Walk softly but carry a big stick;
    - Trust but verify;

    I will write this until the day I kak: Evil Exists. It exists because it is EASY. It exists because it is fun and entertaining. It exists because it is non-judgmental and requires no forethought.

    It exists because there are those who have thought patterns on a 180-degree plane to rationality.

    And NO, you cannot sit down to a nice ebon table over a latte and come to a mutual agreement.

    I have two rifles, two "assault weapons" with high capacity magazines, 11 handguns and "enough" requisite ammunition for all. And various caches in and around my area.

    Carry. Properly. Responsibly. For family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zeppelin, can I come to your house for a bit of target practice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:23 AM

    Nicki: thanks for the link; I will definitely send it on. Also, LOL on the point of going to Zeppelin's place. I was also going to say that if we don't make it out there in time before we're called to war; remember that we won't be the people with the 'white flags', when we come his way.

    If the events of last week were not enough to convince people about the seriousness of 'peaceful' Islam; then they deserve to be executed. Personally, I think that the public high schools should make the 'Bill of Rights' the only subject taught in Social Studies/History; and make it mandatory. Also, I think there should also be a introductory class on guns to diffuse the misrepresentation from the media and political arena.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neo,

    I know whereof you speak, I grew up with scientific socialists and they were rational about everything, except this little blindspot called economics and human nature. Willfully blind in that, and unwilling to believe otherwise. They had seen the *light*, while I only saw murky darkness that was not even gray.

    As for me I do not trust my bear shirt ancestry, but seek to understand the weapons of today all save their personal use by me. I know better than to tempt that place, save if I was in true wilderness. And when I was in true wilderness I trusted to my geologists hammer, my titanium staff and my sturdy clothes to protect me from sun and rock and rattlers. I used no more than that not out of fear of weapons, but only in my mistrust that I would enjoy them too much and follow my bear shirt ancestors.

    Perhaps not making the best sense in a hospital bed *still* waiting for tests to start...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:06 PM

    LOL! a jacksonian is a trooper. Blogging from the hospital bed! Way too cool!

    All of you keep him in your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neo - First time in 21 years my diabetes pulled a stunt like this... the study is seeing 'interesting' results, but this? Not a drop of long lasting insulin left... and the short acting long gone... and my blood sugar dropped and then just stayed where it was...

    Lots of head scratching all around, try again tomorrow... just plain weird... too strange to be a dream so must be happening... I know I still have a better imagination than *this* for dreaming...

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.