"Only one life, 'Twill soon be past; Only what's done for Christ will last." Author Unknown
28 January 2006
Ignoring American History
I found this blog by Patriotic Mom. She has this one post called Remembering the Confederacy that I found to be very intriguing. And I concur that there is too much effort in stomping our history (good and bad) with bias. Where we must recount history without bias. Has it been done successfully? No! I have a disdain for African-American history month. Why relegate that history to one particular month? Let's just get into the habit of recording every aspect of history with balance throughout our education system and do so without bias. The over emphasis of one race during a period perpetuates segregationism and shows no compassion for those of the opposite race. There are somethings that should not be changed for political correctness. Such as Christmas being replaced with 'Holiday'. I know many will hate me now, to which you're entitled to your own opinions (no matter how wrong they are :D).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Agree with you fully. Some tend to twist history to meet their agenda, which is just wrong. Why does the entire social structure and foundations of a society have to be changed to appease one minority group when everyone is free to celebrate their differences as they see fit.
ReplyDeleteBecause, appeasing one group is the fully-Monte trick. Yes, let's focus on this problem and not look at it in whole. See, this is what I call devilish. Just as the devil wants people to focus on the smaller picture; they miss the big one (Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23; Romans 5:8; and Romans 10:9).
ReplyDeleteSo, if I focus on just one aspect of a problem instead of the problem at whole; you can't really make an impact on the problem as a whole.
Thank you for the link. I replied to your remarks on my blog. Your insight is truly one of openess and honesty. For anyone to hate you for this would be pure ignorance on their part. Denial is what keeps folks removed from reality. I believe our history is something we need to remember. If it is forgotten, then what lessons will be learned for future generations?
ReplyDeleteBaskets of blessings!
Well, I'm certainly not going to be one of those who hate you now, Neo. You are exactly right! My daughter's 9th grade history book had one short paragraph about Abraham Lincoln, and an entire chapter on Clinton! What's up with that? Revisionist history is what's up with that.
ReplyDeleteYou are also right regarding "African-American" history month. Although I do feel it was an honest attempt to make up for the fact that so many blacks have been left out of American History for so very long, it's been overdone. It does not foster any resentment in me but I know it does in others because I've heard the comment "so why isn't there a white history month?" Whites do not need a "history month", but I see your point. I too would feel singled out if I were black.
I think it all boils down to political correctness which has gotten so out-of-hand it's ridiculous!
"So, if I focus on just one aspect of a problem instead of the problem at whole; you can't really make an impact on the problem as a whole."
ReplyDeleteExcellent Neo and so true. ... I find it hard to believe anyone out there would hate you, and if they do, they certainly have a very narrow perspective of life in general... or if your like me, ya might have torqued them up a time or two ... LOL
Gotta agree I won't hate you...
ReplyDeleteNS: there must be some kind of pivotal point in your life -- what was it? I'll just be up front and say that you are absolutely unlike any other American I know or read, who happens to be black.
ReplyDeleteIf you were in a university environment you'd be going straight to Educational Hell.
I'll bet you're quiet at work.
How many people know you pen this blog? You are so NOT in keeping with modern stereotypes.
I think it's time you became one of The Usual Suspects.
This reminds me of something Morgan Freeman said. I really like him. He doesn't like African-American history month either.
ReplyDeleteBloviating Zeppelin: LOL! Great compliment! I'll be sure to email you the payment.
ReplyDeleteAddressing your comments:
"there must be some kind of pivotal point in your life -- what was it?"
I don't know if it was being the first born to immigrant parents; going to foster care for a couple of years; or moving out when I was sixteen. But, the biggest three (3) for me was:
Salvation, Marriage/Divorce, and Systematic Theology I, II & III.
Salvation was the biggest because it allowed me to put things in their proper perspective. I thank God for His patience with me. My marriage/divorce was another big point in that THAT WAS HELL! Maybe, I will cover that in this blog in the future. Systematic Theology I, II, & III was very pivotal (Armed & Christian can testify to it. This professor taughts not what to think; but how to think! People thought us sadistic to sit through this guy's class and be tortured on levels of teaching in the undergraduate class that was definitely graduate levels. We were taught to read the things we'd never read. To expand our knowledge base.
I'll just be up front and say that you are absolutely unlike any other American I know or read, who happens to be black.
Thanks! I don't know which to buy first: the cape or tights. LOL! I think there are many more out there; they probably don't know about this arena of thought communication; or we just haven't found their blogs yet.
If you were in a university environment you'd be going straight to Educational Hell.
I am still there and it's a lot of fun (twenty year bachelor program).
I'll bet you're quiet at work.
NOT! That was a funny one! Actually, I drive them up the wall at work; which provides a very good balance to the duldrums at times in the library collective.
How many people know you pen this blog?
I am spreading the news of this blog as fast as possible; but most could care less.
You are so NOT in keeping with modern stereotypes.
If you caught me between 13-15, during my identity crisis times; you would have met the thug. After that was my Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, etc days. I grew up poor but when a teenager, I was loved best by my best friends parents (Polish Americans) who took me in as a son. So, when I hear about the "Man"; I remember that "Man" who opened his home to me. I don't ignore the racial biases I faced in the work place; but I remember that my destiny is controlled by a Sovereign God!
I think it's time you became one of The Usual Suspects.
At first, I didn't know how to take it. I thought you were stereotyping me! LOL! But, I'll rent the movie and then figure out which character I should be.
I think the biggest problem with being me; is that many people can't handle it. But, I appreciate those who can. Thank you for the kind words; but I am just a grain of sand in this bedrock of knowledge.
We were shown a history book in the late 70s (I was a sophmore in college) that had 3 paragraphs on George Washington and three times as many words on Marilyn Monroe. Sadly it's an old problem.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I finally got my links up to date and you are on there now...
ReplyDeleteNeo, great blog.. Gonna link you!
ReplyDeleteCan't believe i haven't yet!!
My wife is substitute teaching in a school where my son used to teach history. She came home shaking her head. They not only are not reading "graduate level books", they have been learning American history from movies. So far in the weeks she has taught: The Patriot, The Alamo (the John Wayne version) Amistad, and one or two others I have successfully forgotten.
ReplyDeleteThanks JGF & Rebecca for the link; I am glad you enjoy this blog as much as I enjoy every one in my list.
ReplyDeleteNeo,
ReplyDeleteYou are one of the usual suspects.. It is an honor to be inducted. Blo has started a blog 'tradition' here and doesn't know it.. ha!! I have linked you. It took me a while to get to your blog, but it is great!
You will get this blog out there.
The more people that link you the better..
I tend to identify with you being a believer/conservative. The skin difference doesn't matter. Do you think God will say one day... "Neo, dude, you didn't like Black appreciation month"... Do you think God even cares about it? I think you are right .. We need to honor one another every day.
Great post!!
Thank you all for not hating me, yet (smile). LOL!
ReplyDelete3S10M: that's real sad. As much as I loved the Patriot, and Alamo (2004?). I think it's pretty sad when the RIF concept has gone the way of the dinosaur. I am in between three (3) books now and it's great, challenging, but great!
gayle: I'd pick Clinton over Washington in a heartbeat. NOT! Especially, with that the "To Cover Up or Not" post of yours, I'd be insane! But, think about it:
My do so many want to discard the Bible? It's seen (even by many Christians) as outdated and irrelevant. Yet, that's the sad part about it because it is always relevant! So, G. Washington was the first president; I want the guy who really gets me; and that's Clinton. I mean look at George! We don't dress like him, talk like him. Bill's teeth are real (I think)! George looks like a quacky religious guy! Bill 'understands' me! (See where I am heading? I'd like to stop here because this existentialism is killing me!)
ABFReedom: "Torqued" seems so,,,, short of what they really feel like. LOL! You will really see heads role with the next post.
shoprat: Have you seen Marilyn Monroe? (Hubba, hubba) LOL!
rebecca: I think many will say that not liking Black History month will be the root of me losing my salvation (smile). They are entitled to their wrong views! Your assessment was correct; believer first; conservative second.
Also, replace existentialism for pragmatism. I'll deal with existentialism in another post.
ReplyDeleteNeo, Soc: Wow! You answered all those dumb questions and observations I had one by one!
ReplyDeleteGreat explanation and enlightening insight. Thank you kindly.
I'm feeling you on your point about AA history...we should celebrate at all times.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure at some point you will run across someone that hates you.
ReplyDeleteBut it wont be those of us that see a person and not a color.
I haven't read all your posts yet, but will eventually. Love your insight and honesty.
Rebe is correct in stating that black history month is an attempt to interject the positive contributions that blacks have made to the development of this country. For many years that history was tucked away and who knows how much was lost because of that. We started with black history week then black history month. Anyone resenting black history month need to check the white supremacy mindset because I think there is an issue if you can't stomach one month out of twelve where black folks get some shine.
ReplyDeleteNow here is the problem. Black History is relegated to a month long curriculum and an elective course in high school. Why aren't the contributions of black people included in American history in general. We have been a part of every era of American history. It shouldn't be that hard to include us. I took a black history class in high school and I loved it. But that's when I found out how little of our history was included in American history. That needs to change.
So here is the $64,000 question. Why hasn't it changed? It's 2006 and we're still having this conversation. Why is that? The skeptic in me says that there are people that want to protect Eurocentric/white supremacist propaganda. I could be wrong but I'll change my tune when the stop the obvious lie of Columbus discovering America and the Civil war was about slavery.
When the history books include black history properly, then I'll be cool with letting go of black history month. Until then, I'm riding with it.
"Anyone resenting black history month need to check the white supremacy mindset because I think there is an issue if you can't stomach one month out of twelve where black folks get some shine." LOL!
ReplyDeleteJames: I love you man! Here is the point; maybe it was my Spaniard genes that makes me hate it. NOT! I will try to find my white supremict mindset tonight. But, you said exactly why I have the problem:
"Why aren't the contributions of black people included in American history in general?"
Exactly, my point! It's AMERICAN HISTORY! NOT BLACK HISTORY! PERIOD!
Is it more special when we recount the efforts of whites over blacks or blacks over whites? NO! Yet, we have not corrected the problem! We have not raised the bar on expectations for those who can be change makers and we have closed down hopes for change.
Case in point: There is this Black College here in Indianapolis, where the Black President refuses to make the proper investments to properly notify the community of its presence. Enrollment is down and if it survives; another five (5) years that would be by the grace of God. Plus, the cirriculum is a joke and it puts out sub-standard graduates. So, if I am presented with two (2) candidates for a position in a job; I am going with the better qualified person. Now, I am here at this position because my bosses liked the fact that I had over twelve/thirteen years of experience to back up my resume (without the education). When they asked the questions; I had the answers. Now, they were looking at another candidate, but God providentially opened the door for me.
Neo, I understand what you are saying, but I have to wonder why changes haven't been made. Everyone knows that the history schools teach is a joke. And that is from a lot of different perspectives not just black folk. So there must be a reason for the lack of revisions. I say it is because of white supremacy. They don't want to include us or anyone else on equal footing with them. So, already one race is getting special treatment. All I'm saying is, since that's the case, let's make the most of this month. That give me 11 months to fight the lies. That leaves them in a pretty good position.
ReplyDeletePoint taken. Now here is something that could be addressed from our representatives. It can be fixed; the problem is that it is not an issue made important enough! I won't go as far as to say white supremacy lays hold of it not happening. It is an issue that needs to be addressed to those responsible in the educational community with the clout to fix it. Just like there have been excellent arguments that show the fallacies of evolution that shows major problems with its tenets and it has yet to be republished because of the evolution bias in the educational community. I think there should be a balance in the views taught. Because if we are going to have a Black History month; what about a Creationism month or even on another month Intelligent Design (because they are not one and the same)?
ReplyDelete