21 January 2006

American Apathy

I think one of the greatest things about this country is our freedom of expression, or lack thereof. I keep reading the many blogs and articles and find this recurring theme of right vs. left; republican vs. democrat, etc. While, I am guilty of 'taking sides', I can appreciate my opponent's willingness to communicate. But, what concerns me more is not people with differing or similar views. What concerns me is the fact that many just don't care!
Issues about whether or not we should have gone to the war or not; it blows me away on how many people are not concerned with the number of Iraqis happy to be free from Saddam's regime.
Issues about whether or not we should have gone to Afghanistan; it blows me away on how many people are not concerned about women being free to be educated. Eehhmm! FemmiNazis, why can't I hear you?????
Issues about whether or not we should drill for oil in our own country instead of being dependent on other countries, even though the jobs created could probably help our economy.
Issues about whether or not we should aggressive pursue alternative fuel resources, even though we have many of the brightest minds in the world between our coasts.
Issues about whether or not we should abort babies or not.
There are more problems, but what sickens me is that most people in a position to do things about it; just don't care! The trinity of selfishness (me, myself, & I) spawned since the Baby Boom generation has diminished America's ability to succeed further than we ever could. We put a man on the moon, how long ago? By now, space exploration should be beyond our limited travels. Thank God for human ingenuity that allows private citizens to push where our handcuffed government agencies can't. We have judges who I believe, pass legislation because they won't be around to see the lasting fruit of such powerful decisions that impact us on such a grand scale. Why?

Microwave satisfaction! We look for immediate satisfaction rather than thinking ahead. Why worry about alternatative fuel, if you won't be around long enough to enjoy it? Why stop aborting children if you are not looking to have any or you're too old to have any? Why free people across the world, if a good natured thing as such doesn't give you immediate financial or sexual gratification? Why does Ted Kennedy go unchecked, while insulting Allito? Why does our poor border control not meet further ostracizing? What is sad, is that this mentality is being fed to our kids and it rests in the hearts of too many Americans and that is the great war we need to be fighting with the war on terror. If we don't, we will look like many of those flailing European nations.

My question to you is: How do we fight American Apathy?

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:25 PM

    The billions we spend on the space program is one of the biggest wastes of money in the entire nation. Dude, we are never going to have permanent colonies on any of the planets; it's just not economically feasable. The whole planetary exploration thing, while academically interesting, provides no benefit aside from giving the government somewhere to throw billions of tax dollars and pay white collar pencil-necked geeks to sit on their asses and speculate about dust, rocks, and atmospheric conditions on a planet there is no freaking reason we should ever go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Jay: I'm not just saying focus on space exploration; but you have to agree with me that we could be further along than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Issues about whether or not we should have gone to the war or not; it blows me away on how many people are not concerned with the number of Iraqis happy to be free from Saddam's regime.
    Issues about whether or not we should have gone to Afghanistan; it blows me away on how many people are not concerned about women being free to be educated. "

    Freeing the Iraqi people wasn't the number one reason for going over there. And if I'm not mistaken, educating Afghani women wasn't why we went over there either.

    And I don't think it's that people don't care, I just think they want to escape from it. Or at least that's how I feel. You and others like you do a great job and blogging your viewpoints and possible solutions to the world's problems. That's what's so great about the blogosphere, you can write about what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so many are apathetic, because to really care requires one to think. To care you have to know what you believe and to really think through things and be able to back up your beliefs. That isn't an easy thing to do. It is far easier to just listen to the MSM and let them decide for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually agree with a&c but this time I am in total disagreement with him. Space is uneconomical because the government has made it that way. We should be on Mars by now.

    It's all part of America losing its pioneering spirit and its can-do attitude. Until we get that back we are just going to flounder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with Shoprat on this one. We need to push ahead with space exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:00 PM

    You two can disagree with me all you want. Everyone has a God-given right to be completely wrong. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:53 AM

    LOL Jay! You know that looks like the definition for apologetics ("I'm sorry that you're wrong and I'm right!").

    In our phone dialogue Jay brought up a great point. "I don't think spending trillions to understand how water and life came to exist on other planets is a wise expense".

    To that, I agree and will post something on within 48 hours. I feel those endeavours are usually supported so that the evolutionists can ignore the overwhelming evidence of life starting here on Earth (Genesis 1). I am an adventurer and space geek. So, the possibility of mankind traveling through space before glory is way too exciting. But, I won't spill all my milk on this topic; look for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:02 AM

    Shavonne: Agreed, the blogsphere is excellent for posting ones viewpoint.

    Not to address your comments; arguing about whether or not we should have been there when we are at war is plain crazy! Whether or not, it was a mistake doesn't really matter right now! Analysts can work that scenario out; but have you ever made a mistake (I have often). Have you wallowed in self-degredation over long periods about how dumb it was that you made that mistake? Or do you move on and try to learn from it? Have your reservations; that's your right; however, our men and women are helping to free 'oppressed' people! And we as a country should be spending less time deliberating on how to destroy Bush and help America succeed as a nation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed, Neo! We have accomplished wonderful things for the women in Afghanistan and are accomplishing wonderful things in Iraq as well. It doesn't make sense to keep complaining that "we should never have gone over there in the first place." Personally, I think we should have. That selfish dictator was murdering his own people by the thousands. He's not doing that any more, is he? Why aren't all women in America overjoyed that women over there have been freed from their bonds? Would it perhaps be because they themselves are free and to them nothing else matters but themselves? They can't get out of their own skins long enough to understand that having the misfortune to be born over there as a woman is a horrible tragedy; or - if they do realize it - their hatred of President Bush is more important to them than their love of humanity. It's a selfish mindset that cares nothing for people who are half-way around the world. And Americans in general are apathetic and in an instant gratification mode.

    Many people don't want to wait for anything anymore. Kids out of highschool want, and expect to get, new cars. I have a very disappointed 18 year-old daughter who is not going to get a new car the instant she graduates. Our money is going to her college education and she is going to learn that her style of living has been possible because of the hard work of both myself and my husband. It didn't just float out of a cloud and land in our laps! If she expects to continue to live in the style she's accustomed to, then she must work for it. She's extremely lucky we were smart enough to save enough to put her through college. As for a new car, when she's able to earn the money for one she can buy it herself. Poor, deprived child! Tough.

    Sorry Neo... you hit a nerve with this post.

    And I also disagree with Armed and Christian: I don't feel humanity will forever be stuck on this tiny planet. It isn't natural not to explore what's out there. We should be way farther ahead in the space program than we are.

    I'm 65 years old and I care what happens to this country after I am gone. It's important for our children and our children's children that we do what's right while we are here.

    Thanks for your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before anyone comes in here and says "how is it you have an 18 year-old daughter if you're 65" (as I have been asked before) let me circumvent it: My daughter is my legally adopted grand-daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:01 AM

    LOL Gayle! I have my rant sessions too. So, never feel you have to apologize. Actually, I have several even in my mind! LOL! What you touched on was one of the toughest things I experienced in my marriage. My parents were immigrants so their mentality on the 'extras' was very, let's say, not so accomodating. Many of times we starved. So, I don't waste food (well I try not to intentionally). Well, my ex made it impossible to have our daughter appreciate whatever food was put before her. I ate foods that I was allergic to when I was younger. But that wasn't the issue in this case. I'll stop ranting here on that issue.

    On the issue of apathy; BINGO! This is the following attitude of Americans: What do you mean other people are not well off as me? I'd love to help those people out; but I need to get to the store before it closes. Or there are other organizations to fix those problems; or that's not my calling!

    God will hold us all accountable for not just our sins of commission but even the sins of ommision!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My beef with space exploration is that Governments are not the best way to do it... the first company that can figure out the 1968 economics of the matter will found something brand new in human experience... and yet as old as looking to the next mountain range and saying: "What is over there?"

    The problem with the Federal Government is two fold, as I see it: too big and too small.

    Do we really, absolutely, positively in the 21st century need a Department of Education? A Department of Agriculture? Large swaths of money going overseas to foreign governments that do not deserve it? The space program is *tiny* compared to those, and I do mean *tiny*. And that is before hitting the real fat in the budget.

    And in the 21st century why is the House of Representatives the most un-representative part of our government? It is too *small*. Get it down to a representative for a few neighborhoods and suddenly things change. Hard to lobby a few thousand members of Congress. And all it takes is *one* squeaky wheel to show up corruption. The cyberage should let us *improve* over the horse and buggy reasons for a limited House. I mean if your *neighbor* is a Representative, then you just have to trundle next door to complain to the government.... mmmmmmmmmm... yeah, lets go to the store and then drop by the Representatives house to talk about gas taxes...

    Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Excellent 'a jacksonian'! Especially:
    Do we really, absolutely, positively in the 21st century need a Department of Education? A Department of Agriculture? Large swaths of money going overseas to foreign governments that do not deserve it?

    That's a big fat NO!

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.