04 January 2006

Epistomology and Origins

Educated Shoprat had an excellent post regarding the Ultimate Question of God's existence, intelligent design, etc. In my ranting opportunities, fate brought it that robosquirrel and I have entered into an interesting dialogue. Maybe I read him wrong (please tell me as you review Shoprat's blog). I'll post his response and go from there:

OK, maybe I wasn't clear. I don't know about "The Agnostic View", but I don't pretend to have some some kind of superiority over those who believe in God (or don't - I accept that anything's possible but that don't think there is a way to prove it). What I didn't say in so many words is that my view is that knowledge can not be absolute. I don't KNOW that we can never know, how could I? How do you know God is eternal, all-knowing and all-powerful? That is certainly belief, but belief and fact are no more mutually exclusive than they are mutually inclusive. Perhaps.
Perhaps, when we die and go to heaven, we are suddenly instilled with the Ultimate Answer and everything makes sense. Even if we were able to determine scientifically how life began and the world was formed, we probably wouldn't really know whether we'd actually figured it out or not.
This is going to be a never-ending philosophical circle. I don't know that you can't know, but you don't know that I don't know that you can't know, and so on. What I mean is that there is a limit to human understanding, because the only things we can even come close to considering fact are things we can observe. One can believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans and sculpted out of mud by God, but the only evidence we have of that is a book written by people and translated and reinterpreted and edited by people over the course of well over thousands of years. Does that make it fact? Some say yes; that's their opinion. I think that's a pretty shaky foundation for understanding the way the world works.


Thank you, robosquirrel! If, I misunderstood you before, forgive me. Now I will deal with your response.

What I mean is that there is a limit to human understanding, because the only things we can even come close to considering fact are things we can observe.
I like this. I agree that our understanding is limited; however, observation is not the final arbitrator on fact. How many things are out there that pre-existed us, that was reality without our consent to so. Planetoids, etc, that are a trillions of miles away, yet because we haven't seen it yet, we presume it didn't exist until we saw it. Observations tell me that you, robosquirrel, did not exist until last week when our dialogue began. Now, history on your blogsite may offer information contrary to my assessment, yet I feel you didn't exist because I did not observe said facts until now. With the theories of the ever-expanding universe from the scientific community, I say: Duh! Yet, they posit this information as it were new, yet Biblical texts attest to this very concept long before the 'scientists' did.

Observable data: Everything has a design! Period! We sit here musing over DNA chains and the such; and each shows a unique design and structure not from happenstance but order. Yet, to create/maintain such a variety of differences, you would need an infinitely intelligent creator to have these exist apart from itself. When watches and books are made, they exist apart from the designer/manufacturer but show order and design. So, if on a small scale we can view something so simplistic; why would it be so difficult that someone/something infinite created the ever expanding universe?

In high school, I hated that the math teachers could not come out and state the obvious in the simplest of equations. Any fraction with zero as the denominator was yielded as "undefined". However, in the college level it is yielded as "infinity". The latter being the correct assessment. However, what must be considered in this simple answer? What must be considered in light of the fact that only infinity can produce something from nothing? Big-Bang wrong! Creationism right!

Think about it. Undefined was evolution's answer because it saved face for its pathetic attempt to answer origins which cannot be observed or reproduced in a lab, yet public schools must adhere to this hypothesis that has no substantial evidence to support its tenets. Yet, infinity, which in itself cannot be grasped fully (your point), save by an Infinite Being (my point) offers us much evidence each second. It's not impersonal, not completely transcendent and non-committal; but, loving and willing to interact with His creation. Even there is observable data about the Infinite Creator. All-wise; all-powerful; all-knowing and Eternal because those are encapsulated in Infinity.

So, where do we land in light of an Infinite Being? Smack dab at accountabilities door for us finite beings! Oft times ideologies apart from Judeo/Christian refuse to acknowledge man's fault and desire to stray from the One they know created them. Evolution relegates man to animalistic tendencies rather than being outright depraved! Animalistic behaviour is the product of depravity and absense of morality. It then tries to justify human atrocity and then blurs the line between good and evil. Then, we embrace the devilish ideologies of pragmatism and existentialism which basically says "I don't care what He says, I'll see it out my way regardless!"

You're reference to the unreliability of the Bible will be addressed here. I look forward to further dialogue.

3 comments:

  1. This is an extremely well-written article with arguements well presented. Believing in God as I do, I of course agree with you. That won't be a surprise to many people.

    Robosquirrel did say he had an issue with organized religion because of the way it says everyone else is wrong except for that religion. I happen to be an Episcopalian. I do not believe that everyone is going to hell unless they are Episcopalian's and neither does my priest or the congregation of my church. Well, I can't speak for all of them, because there are a couple of people I don't know well (it's a very small church) and I don't know what they believe.

    To me it's all very simple: It takes an astounding leap of faith to believe we are here by chance alone. Many life experiences that cannot be explained any other way than by the existance of a creator also make it impossible for me to believe we are here by chance. Seeing the way the world works (inner-space is fascinating) like a well-tuned pocket watch also negates chance in my mind.

    Excellent article. Thank you! I'm going to link you to both of my blogs! That is, if you say it's okay. They are both very conservative Republican Blogs and I'm not happy with libs and Democrats these days, and it shows. I'll need your permission first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:51 AM

    go for it on linking me. There is truth to organized religion being a sounding gong. It's unnerving when you have certain denominations with an air of superiority over others. They posit that salvation not in their assembly is not salvation at all. To that I ask then, what about the people in Acts 2? How about the church for the first 18 centuries before say the founding of the Assemblies of God in 1905? Obviously, there are people in many mainline doctrinely sound churches who are without a saving knowledge of Christ. But, the are genuine believers in the other areas. I am encouraged "iron sharpens iron" by all of you guys. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:11 PM

    You bring up a good point about me not having existed to you before you saw what I'd written, and that you still haven't laid eyes on me, so how would you know for sure? Well, using a little deductive reasoning, you can puzzle it out. For example, if you tried Googling Robosquirrel or Matthew T. Armstrong, you'd come up with evidence of things I have written dating back almost ten years, as well as some other stuff by other people discussing Robo-squirrels and named Matthew T. Armstrong. Of course Google isn't scientific, and you'll get about 152,000,000 hits for "God" as well. I suppose if Google was scientific proof, well, there you'd have it! But I have an address and phone number! Does God have those? You could come to Rhode Island and I'd buy you a beer! Would that prove I exist? Would God buy you a beer?

    Neo writes: Observable data: Everything has a design! Period! We sit here musing over DNA chains and the such; and each shows a unique design and structure not from happenstance but order. Yet, to create/maintain such a variety of differences, you would need an infinitely intelligent creator to have these exist apart from itself.

    The problem with this arguement is that religious explanations for the order of things do not subject themselves to be objectively falsified. If I may rephrase, you're saying that everything has a design is because there has do be a God. Likewise, I suppose there has to be a God, because everything is design? Is it so impossible to believe that life may be a series of complex system interacting with one another and that elements of these systems align because of their individual properties? Uh... let's consider that rhetorical. This is the main reason I used to avoid religious topics since religious explanations for the order of things are based on faith and do not subject themselves to be objectively falsified. You can't disprove something that by it's nature can't be proven. It doesn't matter anyway, because I'm not trying to disprove God or ID, or prove Evolution, rather discuss these things on their rational merits.

    Gayle, many folks of many religions do believe that unbelievers are going to hell, including Christians. But that's not what I said. Is that what I said...? Nope, but I thought I should check, just in case:

    I find the people involved genereally deceptive or decieved; either coaxing people to think how they want them to think, or be convinced not to use their (perhaps) God-given reasoning skills.

    I have found, in my experience, church is a place for groupthink, hypocrites and people who hate themselves. I am sure that's not the case with you folks, but I am tired of self-loathing and hypocrisy. I find the idea of Christianity compelling, but the practice somewhat wanting. I couldn't speak for other religions.

    Linked you up, by the way, Neo. I don't ask... is there some kind of unwritten etiquitte I don't know about?

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.