- I learned that I had major bitterness issues with my ex-wfie and was able to move on and get beyond it by God's grace.
- I learned how to try to better understand women who have bitterness issues. (Might be more reticent in those situations).
- I learned how to stretch myself with difficult people. Not her, but other people who would have severely hurt me in the past.
- I learned how to take my love for my son to the next level. We already had an awesome relationship, but a new dynamic added allowed God to open more doors for me with my son.
- I learned how to be continually patient with people who are offensive towards me. Especially, the Christian ones who take advantage of you and lambast you.
- I learned how to not over commit myself and hold my ground to my decisions. I was definitely serving in too many areas in church and this year is more freeing in that I can still teach and sing and have fun serving without being burned out.
- I learned about a really cool Christian ministry in the Orange County area that I pray will continue to have an awesome impact to society. (I won't mention the ministry name but will let God get the word out about the ministry. If you happen to land there and I never know; I am just glad you got a chance to be a part of something really cool).
- I learned about some really nice places in California to revisit in the future. Balboa Island, Knottsberry Farm, Long Beach, outdoor mall in Irvine.
- I learned that it pays to be faithful to that one person you are dating. In so doing, I avoided many crazy situations here locally while person T was abroad. I had many advances made towards me and the desire to be faithful (always have been), had spared me the possibility of yielding to convenience and not honoring my commitment.
- I learned that you should make sure that the person is really serious about commiting before continually giving of yourself. The more serious sacrifices are required when you are married, but that does not remove you from the responsibility of setting the example in the relationship.
I know without the shadow of a doubt, that God used person T in many ways to make me a better man of God (granted it is all the work of the Holy Spirit).
Now, the onus is on you. What good things have you learned from the past relationships good and especially bad. Like I said, it is really easy to write the bad; but it is many-fold more difficult to write something good. For me, coming up with this list was basically a review of what I have talked to my closest friends about. I just finally took time to write it down. I encourage you all to do the same.
Good for you! From your last post I was worried about you. See, I'm commenting backwards on your posts, beginning with "A Refusal to Let Go!" I'm very happy that you understand that our bad experiences happen for a reason. Some people let them drag them down and others make something good out of them. You've done that and I commend you for it! As the Brits would say: "Good show!" :)
ReplyDeleteI always loved that phrase. Hadn't heard it in a while. Think I'll incorporate it into my vocabulary.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement, and pray that God will help me to remain more positive than negative and that I can actually respond in obedience to His unctioning. I had a moment of "frustration" where I vented with some friends. However, one friend challenged me to not let someone pull me out of character even when I have the right to do so.