25 April 2006

Diary of a Tired Black Man

I found about this excellent movie called "Diary of a Tired Black Man" from an email I almost deleted. If you want to know my stress; go to the link and watch the video. I am buying 100 copies and will scrounge up enough money to send many black women to better understand us!

8 comments:

  1. artistically speaking, I hope the hell they rewrite that scene. It was week and too preachy and unrealistic.

    I'll get into the social commentary part of this when I get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 04 26 06

    OK that was a little biased. Granted there are haters out there, but change genders and see the kinda crap I experienced when I went out with a White fella. Same trifling BS. I will say that I am sick of the over negative characterizations about Black women though and the fact that we are always seen as having attitude and trying to emasculate Black men. Well that is a lame stereotype and painful. The more Black men subscribe to those fallacies, the more our cultural heritage goes down the toilet. Besides that; he WAS a weak Black man for EVER getting involved with a trifling female like that! People complain about their baby mamma's and daddy's and so forth, but rarely do they really consider who they are laying down with, then complain. BAD JUDGEMENT is the culprit. NOT a conspiracy by Black women to emasculate Black men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 04 26 06

    However, I DO have an attitude though and don't suffer fools gladly. I think the video may have held more water if it was a BLACK AMERICAN man who was the main character too. I have met foreign Black men who don't have the same outlook as natural born American Blacks and they tend to think of us as being bitter regarding race, and to a degree many of us do have some bitterness but it needn't translate to all out and out hate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Though I'm probably in the minority on this... I happen to know at least 5 guys (fellow brothas too) that have experienced EXACTLY what the guy in the video experienced... literally... exactly.

    I've forwarded it to some friends, I'm sure I'll get some hilarious e-mails back. I know I laughed.

    And for the record, that video isn't as unrealistic as some of us want to believe. Maybe it doesn't happen that way all the time, but to say that it doesn't isn't realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From an artistic perspective, it is lacking depth. You can tell the script wasn't worked. There are times when too many words take away from the message.

    There was a scene in Love Jones where Isaih Washington's character opened the door and saw his wife and son standing on the front porch. He opened the door and allowed them to enter. Before he closed the door he looked up to the heaven as thought to say thank you to God. it was a great scene and no words were even spoken.

    They could have done that here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't really comment here other than to say because of my dial-up connection I can't watch the video. Not being black, I don't think my input would matter much anyway, as I don't know that much about it.

    So I'll go away now and comment on your last post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:44 AM

    too funny gayle!

    Okay, I will ageee that not all black women are like this. So, to those I have offended, please forgive me.

    But, know this, you are in the minority. The haters are getting a lot of play because there are enough of your kind showing the right way. I have met more haters than their opposites. The picture has changed much from New York to Indiana.

    Yeah, he may have been African, but understand that every man isn't a horndog like portrayed in Waiting to Exhale, Booty Call, Dairy of a Mad Black Woman, etc. Yet we have had the label for far too long! Plus, like it or not many sistas are becoming too rank and they're filling up the prisons now because they like the thug life too.

    Also, James. You're right. There was too much said and more could have been accomplished in silence. They over did it with the vulgarity. But, I think they did an excellent job with portraying the hating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that scene James...

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.