US Flight 93 came out this weekend and I want to see this movie. My buddy Memphis Slims went to see it and enjoyed it. He posted on SuperHeroHype's bulletin board as to how many people were going to see it and the response was quite saddening. I am going to include a couple of quotes and then comment more.
"I'm not going. Too damned soon. It would be like making Schindler's List in 1950."
"I'm not going to see it.Not because its too soon, it just looks boring. Its an incredible piece of history, but it certainly not the greatest idea for a film."
"I'm not seeing it to be honest. Seems to be nothing more than propaganda to show how America is much better than everyone else....What happened on 9/11 was very tragic. But right now, it's way too soon and out of respect for the families, friends, and loved ones who perished in that destruction, there's no way I would've done this movie 5 years later."
There were some good patriotic responses. But, what troubles me is the apathyof many of the other people. But the key issue I want to address is whether or not this was too soon.
It's never too soon! Remember the Holocaust? Over sixty years later and we have many people denying it ever happened! We always need to be reminded because of our short attention spans. People forget that we were ATTACKED! And this was based on people dedicated to a religion of hate and vioence.
Now, we have apathetic Americans who don't have kids trying to shove their policies down our kids throats! They make all kinds of concessions for homosexuality and other deviancies but have no desire to extend the same for those of opposing views. That's a travesty when intolerance rudely masquerades itself under the guise of tolerance.
Your right Neo, and a lot of the attitude towards this is generated by MSM. In the few reviews I've seen up here, not one of them stated that this movie was approved by the victims families. The left just wants to maintain their normal position of sticking their head in the sand.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I wish they'd stay with their hands literally in the sand!
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely not "too soon"! It should have been done even sooner. Too many people have already forgotten. I will see it when it comes out on DVD (I don't go to theaters) out of respect to the families who lost loved ones on that flight, and out of respect to those who lost their lives on that flight; and also out of respect for this great country.
ReplyDeleteI don't understand those who disagree with this movie being made either, Neo. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I know it will hurt to watch it... I'll probably cry through the entire thing, but that's the least I can do for these people who sacrificed their lives.
I don't think 5 years is too soon. I think the media would prefer it go so long that when a movie finally does come out, it's been so long that we forget it really did happen to real people, and isn't a clever screenplay.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I read a Christian review, and considering the sludge that comes out of Hollywood these days, the movie was done very respectfully. No excessive violence, no sex subplot.
The only problem I see is excessive profanity.(Several F-words and G---d---, etc.)
I'd like to see it when it comes on DVD.
I have not seen it yet but intend to quite soon.
ReplyDeleteIf you get a chance, pop over to my blog regarding my feelings on Flight 93. Perhaps it will shed light on how some may be feeling. Although, I can only speak for myself.
ReplyDeleteMovie was great! I also saw RV with my son and it was like a 2006 rendition of National Lampoon's Vacation trip to Wallyworld!
ReplyDeleteMy friend that I went with to see this pointed out that Hollywood was making World War II movies in the middle of World War II. So this argument that its too soon is ridiculous. Plus the families have all seen it and endorsed it.
ReplyDeleteIt was very good and I would disagree with Bill McCuddy who said it was 10 times more traumatic that Saving Private Ryan. It was traumatic but not over the top. It was a very well done movie and I'm so glad I went to see it.