14 August 2006

People of Valor

Merriam-Webster defines valor as "strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness : personal bravery". This is what I think of when I remember our troops (alive and dead). But, I also attribute it to personal and close friends who strive on despite their personal challenges of life. While they may not always do or say something that I can agree with; I will always hold them in that esteem. Do have have anyone that you consider to be a person of valor?

9 comments:

  1. 08 14 06

    All my male ancestors are men of valor. BTW glad to see you are back. I had missed seeing you around:) Warm regards for a nice week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:41 PM

    There are only a couple I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, one of the first you probably thought of when you wrote this post was the first one that came to my mind as well; a godly man, a role model, the only true genius I know, and one of only a few people for whom I would take a bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a couple, but they are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom. Over her 4 year battle with cancer, she fought to maintain as normal and happy life as possible. Even in the last four months of her life, she faced her challenges with "personal bravery."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:52 AM

    That's great! Do you believe seeing that had any effect on deeping your faith and trust?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice post Neo. Yes, I know several people of valor, my husband is one of them, and Old Soldier, my blogging partner is another. One of my grandfathers was also a person of valor, as was my mother in her battle with cancer. There are more. Although my mother died when I was seven, I've always had my faith.

    I see you have completely revised your blog! I've been away for a few days and just recently returned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father. He survived WWII and each mission as a B-17G pilot for the 8th Air Force, flying missions over Germany and other countries. He lost one plane but managed to land it, losing only one man to other injuries. The 8th AF sustained heavier percentile losses than any other American unit in WWII. He was definitely a member of The Greatest Generation.

    BZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. One man I can think of, a coworker I had the honor to know. Valor need not be glorious on the battlefield, although he had that too. But he had and has going and on-going dedication. He is a Marine, went through the old National Photo Interpretation Center then to Vietnam where one not only did the choosing of targets, but then was sent on the patrol to make sure you got it right: "Sometimes you did, sometimes you didn't. But you didn't risk anyone elses life if you were not willing to risk your own for your decision."

    After two tours there he got moved to diplomatic duty then courier and then as assistant to the Commandant of the Corps. He tells of the stories during those times... but his life did not stop there, far from it.

    Retired from active service he applied to the Agency and worked there until he could retire from that. And more stories from that. Now with a contractor for the Government and serving *still*, putting his decades of experience to good and faithful service to his Nation, taking pride at helping the local schools and visiting his son who was stationed in Turkey, although his unit was an engineering group in Iraq.

    A warm and good man that you would *trust* with violence to defend his Nation. And still he serves and will retire in a year or two for the *third* time... and no doubt still find ways to contribute to those who defend this Nation, be they soldiers of ground, air, sea or shadow.

    Simple, honorable valor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know so many that strive daily to overcome adversity and make a difference ... this would be a tough choice.

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.