04 March 2006

Heroine or Heroin?

I think I expect too much from movies. I love all types of movies; especially action, being a guy of course. My buddy and I have a horrible track record of picking out movies in the last four (4) years. I think we are two for twenty, and one of them was selected by his wife. But this year alone has been a big disappointment for me. The two (2) big flops for me were AEON SUCKS Flux (I have briefly blogged on this when I first started with Blogger here) and ULTRAVIOLET. In both movies, the directors put too much stock in special effects and sensual women and not enough into plot, character development, and good actors. Remember Crap Cat Woman and Electrocuted Elektra? They flopped as well. So, are we producing heroines or are these producers inhaling too much (Ultraviolet definitely looked to be a possible heroine trip, though I have never tried it) to stay concentrated enough to put out something of quality.

If this is the trend for action movies in the future then I think I am done. I am just looking forward to X3, Superman, and Spiderman 3. I did enjoy Underworld Evolution, but it bordered on questionable.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:09 AM

    I can't wait for X-men 3 to come out! My little heart just goes pit-a-pat when Halle Berry flares her nostrils and tries to look serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're expecting waaaaay to much from action movies now-a-days! What do you think this is the late 70's 80's or early 90's? Hollywood can't make action movies like used too! Movies like Delta Force, Bloodsport, Hard to Kill, Rocky 4, and Universal Soldiers! It's certainly not your fault that your track record in picking out "good" movies is bad, it's the fact the no movie Hollywood pumps out now is good! Just look at all the Oscar nominations!

    Oh, and I'm also looking foward to seeing the new Superman as well, but I'm a bit skeptical of the guy playing Superman! Can he really compare to Christopher Reeve? It's really hard to top the Superman you grew up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also disappointed in what Hollyweird is turning out and have been for a long time.

    A very good example: I just recently watched "Cape Fear." It was made in the
    late 90's, I think. The lawyer who was being threatened was a total and complete wuss. They put a scene in the movie where the lawyer's daughter meets the villian in the basement of her school and let's him stick his finger in her mouth and she erotically sucks on it!

    One of my readers told me that Cape Fear was a remake and the original, in black and white, was much better. So I rented it and compared them. No comparison! Gregory Peck, the lawyer, was definitely not a wuss. The daughter was not a teenager but much younger and she was terrified of the villian, Robert Mitchum. Holleyweird just had to make the lawyer victim a wuss and his daughter old enough to be a tramp! I am totally sickened by their crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Robert Mitchum always did play a good psychopath, and you could always count on Gregory Peck to play a good hero

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some really good movies being made, but they're overshadowed by the garbage that Hollywood produces en-mass. I think our problem that production is now so easy, and with multi-theatres, we get a lot of "pulp" writing. That is both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of those you mentioned were terrible. Who is giving the order to push the crap on the public?? I mean, someone had to screen-test this mess, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! Totally off-subject, but I love Nosthegametoo's avitar!

    I haven't posted anything new, Neo. Just visiting. Feeling a bit under-the-weather. Probably pushed myself too hard this weekend. The dragon you sent me looks really good at the top of the comment section of My Republican Blog though. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.