We are all scientists. Science is basically studying things by observation. I believe there are a lot of intelligent people out there. I pray I am one of them. I think there is a difference between being intelligent and be wise. Being wise is how you interpret the things you observe. But, we must inevitably decide how we will proceed in light of the evidence we observed and how we interpreted it. We filter these things through our ethics and prayerfully our response will have a positive ethical/moral effect on society.
I bring this up because I was having a conversation with my brother who I believe is an intelligent person. My concern is how he sometimes interprets the facts. In the middle of the conversation, I brought up the fact that I believe it is dangerous for people to put their trust in many of these false preachers like T.D. Jakes, Creflo Dollar, Fred Price, etc. He made a comment to me that he believes that more lives were helped than hurt through these ministries. When I wanted to point out the err of his statement, he avoided the conversation because he knew the bankruptcy of the statement.
So, I bring this to you: Is it alright for someone to cause damage to a minority of people because the majority is being benefited even if the majority is being sold a lie? Americans are being sold the lie that we need to be dependent upon our government and we can see the fruits of that lie. We continue to lead people in deception but it's okay if the majority "benefits". If, this is the prevailing mentality of Americans then the doors of Socialism and Communism are on the way.
Can deceit bring forth goodness? Can the sword bring peace? Certainly you will act good and act peaceful. All faiths in Damnation achieve this.
ReplyDeleteBut remove the Authority, and alone in your room you act like any other fornicator and drunkard.
Finding truth and forgiveness brings forth love; not resenting and point-scoring brings forth peace.
Paul states that not many should be presume to be teachers, because they will be held to a higher standard. But it is God's job to judge them, not ours. Our job is for ourselves to seek the truth. Maybe this is arrogant on my part, but I have met few teachers/preachers that I believe 100%. I check out everything I hear or read against what I already know and if doesn't fit, I investigate it for myself. Ultimately, I believe we need to be responsible as Christians for studying the Bible ourselves and trying to determine what is correct. I do this knowing that I too, like all teachers, are fallible and may come to wrong conclusions. The other day I was reading Psalm 139, it says, "How precious to me are your thoughts, oh God! How vast the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand." So how can we as humans presume to understand God? Yes, I am sure that those preachers you mentioned do get some things wrong, but they also get some things correct. Don't write them off completely because you don't like some of their doctrine. None of us are completely correct, after all. But I believe God is interested in us engaging in the process of learning about him, and is okay with us getting it wrong once in a while, as long as we continue to be humble and look towards him for our answers.
ReplyDeleteTruth is the ultimate value and lies rarely benefit anyone in the long run. The few who are helped by these people would be better helped if they were truthful.
ReplyDeleteIf someone appears to be helped by something/someone and they are happy, even though I believe it is something not good, and even a lie, I am hesitant to call their attention to it. I would rather just smile and nod and keep the peace, because I hate to make waves. This is a weakness of character. This can cause the death of millions, spiritually and physically.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of the argument of which is better - Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or one), or do the needs of the few (or one) outweigh the needs of the many?
ReplyDeleteFalse ministers and their promises will face their own Judgment Day when standing before God for the accounting of actions.
No, I don't believe it's okay if the majority benefits. A lie is a lie is a lie, and very rarely does anyone benefit from one. You mentioned Americans being sold a bill of good and that's certainly true, but if that bill of goods prevails it will benifit no one. Take free health care for example. It won't be free because it will be paid for by American taxpayers, and even the poor won't benefit from it in the long run because the waiting time to even get to see a doctor will be so long that people could start dying before they can get help. A Canadian friend of mine's father died because he couldn't get the operation he needed in time to save his life!
ReplyDeleteYour brother says he believes more people are helped than hurt through those ministries. Wrong. People who are being fed falsehoods are being hurt whether they are aware of it or not.