09 May 2006

Are we that bad?

James Manning (Peace on That) has an interesting post about his struggles with his Christian peers. While I agree that we have dropped the ball on many occasions, I feel that there is more to it than that. I am pasting my comments and I ask that you comment as well (here & on James' blog).
1. What`s wrong with Christians? The problem isn't Christianity, it's the fact that you have fallen people. I agree we need to acknowledge our short-comings, of which there are many. However, you have to be careful a remember that despite the many bad seeds out there; Christian organizations have backed/started many world relief projects.
2. Have Christians lost their moral authority? Not Christians alone. But ANY person who gravitates to this post-modern ideology that infers/dictates relative truth. Once we negate the reality of absolutes; we lose the moral compass! So, any Christian who functions unders situational ethics and sees no problem with it has lost their moral authority.
3. What part did Christians play in fewer Americans attending church? I think the number is a lot lower than what we need to acknowledge because oftimes people already had it set forth that they don't want to go and then find the smallest reason to say Christianity is bad. Remember, we all are already looking for reasons not to be obedient to God (even Christians!)
4. Is it even a Christian`s responsibility to worry about what others think of him/her? Yes, and no to a certain extent. Yes, in that they need to be transparent under be real before the world and remember that their testimony reflects on their Master (good or bad). No, in that sometimes they will be more concerned about how other people view them and not be willing to endure the sacrifices that our Master has called for us to make.
5. What areas could Christians do a better job in interacting with others? This is a tough answer in that I believe that Christians have already bended over on many issues; Christianity has been on the "intolerance" label by many intolerant people.
6. At what point does judging become condemnation? Condemnation is an issue handled at the end; and people can be condemning. What those people need to remember is that if a person doesn't want to receive you; you move on like the Master said.
7. Is either even a problem? Yes, there is! But, the only fix is a Returning King to rapture His church because to many people are too selfish to change.

6 comments:

  1. A few on the left run a million miles further than Jesus intended with the line "Judge not lest you be judged.". I think that may be the only passage of the New Testament that they believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 AM

    When does judging become condemnation? Good question.

    Jesus starts out with the "Do not judge..." premise in Matthew 7, but shortly thereafter says, "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine..." Furthermore, when dealing with false teachers, He tells us that we "...will know them by their fruits." This doesn't do anything to set a precedent for indiscriminate acceptance, but it doesn't draw a clear line between judging and condemnation, either.

    Paul mentions judging in this context 11 times, but I think the most applicable for this discussion is part of 1 Corinthians 5 "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person...

    AHA! We are to expect immoral and unrighteous behavior from the rest of the world, but those who are within the Church are subject to our judgment and criticism. Paul goes on to say:

    "For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within (the church)? But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves."

    While we are to be "fruit inspectors" of peoples' actions, it is not for the Christian to rain down condemnation on the rest of the world for being unrighteous & immoral. After all, that's what unsaved people do. In fact, Christians have a propensity for it as well, otherwise there wouldn't be this invective. Before pointing fingers at the rest of the world, the Church is to make sure that our own house is clean. We take care of ourselves, and let God deal with the rest.

    Having said that, I do not believe that we are to blithely acquiesce to the things done by the unregenerate as either normative or acceptable. God has set a standard by which He is judging and will judge the world.

    There is a big difference between personally condemning someone and letting them know that they have transgressed God's moral law and stand condemned before Him. One of the biggest differences is that when we tell someone that they have broken the Law, there should be no vehemence, venom, or glee in it (*cough* Fred Phelps *cough*). Since we have been pardoned from similar circumstances, we are, personally, on no "higher moral plane" than those to whom we are to reach.

    We are to reach out to those who are immoral, greedy, unregenerate idolaters, but under no circumstances to allow such behavior patterns to exist in the church. We need to reach out in love to the lost, yet at the same time letting them know that they are condemned for their thoughts, words, and actions. There's a lot of tension between those poles, and since we're dealing with people, I don't think there can be any clear-cut proscribed method. How these things are carried out is going to depend upon the character and nature of the person you are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a balancing act and hard to do as we will invariably slide off to one extreme or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:12 PM

    Very hard to do. I am continually searching for the balance between reaching out to someone and giving them the impression that their immorality is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife is a preacher and I've turned her loose on this one, she is writing a response to these questions and I will undoubtedly be posting it on my spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is her response to those questions.
    Well James, welcome to a fallen world! I can totally relate to all you are saying and can understand your frustration. Can you imagine God’s disappointment? How easy it would be for the Lord just save me and take me away! But he does not. For some odd reason He chose to entrust the good news to fallible, immoral, prideful, arrogant, mean, mortal, corrupt human flesh! Why? Considering your Biblical background I’m sure you will remember the scripture, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.” (Isaiah 55:8). God does some pretty far out stuff and most of it exactly opposite of how I would do it! But He alone is God. So to answer your questions:

    What’s wrong with Christians? First what is a Christian? In the traditional sense, it is a follower / disciple of Christ. To quote Christ himself, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.” (John 14:12) “If you hold to my teachings, you really are my disciples.” John 8: 31. I don’t think some people get it! I really don’t think they understand just what Christ did for them. I think there too many shallow, immature “Christians” who just don’t get it. Bottom line, “you will know them by their fruit.” I can tell you I am a giraffe, but until I grow a long neck, black tongue and spots, I am not one. Look for changed lives. One cannot be in the presence of God and remain unchanged.

    Have Christians lost their moral authority? They never had any! We are saved by grace not works so that no can boast! Morality is a standard set by God not man. And it is obvious that we all fall short of God standards! That is why we needed a savior. We are incapable of perfection.

    What part did Christians play in fewer Americans attending church? It’s hard to tell of a loving savior when your life screams so loudly of hate. Hypocritical Christians have played a part, but there are many more factors at work. The change in our basic culture has had more of an impact than anything. We live in a time when it is freedom from Christianity not of religion. However, God is God and there is nothing too hard for him!

    4. Should Christians worry about what others think? We are ambassadors of Christ. Our main concern is pleasing God, following the teachings of Christ (to love God and our neighbor as ourselves.) What people think - no? What God thinks –yes! If we follow the teaching then our love “will” be evident and be will have the respect of others as well as the blessings of God.

    5. Where can we do a better job? Everywhere! At home, work, wherever we go. Faith in Christ is a 24 / 7 commitment. Love as Jesus did.

    6. Judging is a human curse! Only God can search the heart, only he knows the motives of each person. Judging is his job. For us, it is just a waste of energy and most of the time we are wrong!

    7. Is judging a problem? We will all have to give an account of our lives. As Jesus says,
    “The measure you use to judge will be used to judge you!” Better cut people some slack!
    I know she is to good for me...

    ReplyDelete

Attention to those who have nothing to offer other than mindless drill or just want to harass me: DROP DEAD!

To the others whom I have enjoyed over the years, don't waste you breath on those morons. We have better things to do like contributing to society in a positive way.